Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Leaf of Life

This is not it
Today I discovered some information about two more of the "weeds" in my garden. One I think I can leave in the weed category and not have any angst about ripping it out. Pictured above, it is known variously as Wild Tobacco, and Woolly Nightshade, officially as Solanum mauritianum.

It is poisonous, and handling the plants can apparently cause irritation and nausea. I didn't notice any, but after I read that, I immediately washed my hands.

On the other side of the spectrum of good and evil, there is the "Leaf of Life", (Kalanchoe pinnata) also known as air plant, miracle leaf, goethe and the katakataka plant.


This little baby, which heretofore I'd pretty much barely tolerated, has all sorts of wonderful, healthful applications. Also, though admittedly rather decorative, it has the ability to propagate itself from each and every dropped leaf. But now I'll be looking at my air plants differently. To give you an idea of the extent of its use, from an interesting site on Tropical herbs.

TRIBAL AND HERBAL MEDICINE USES

Kalanchoe is somewhat of a panacea to the indigenous peoples of the Amazon; they employ it for many different purposes. The Creoles use the lightly roasted leaves for cancer and inflammations, and a leaf infusion is a popular remedy for fevers. The Palikur mix the leaf juice with coconut oil or andiroba oil and then rub it on the forehead for migraines and headaches. To the Siona indigenous peoples, kalanchoe is known as 'boil medicine' and they heat the leaves and apply them topically to boils and skin ulcers. Along the Rio Pastaza in Ecuador, natives use a leaf infusion for broken bones and internal bruises. In Peru, indigenous tribes mix the leaf with aguardiente (sugar cane rum) and apply the mixture to the temples for headaches; they soak the leaves and stems overnight in cold water and then drink it for heartburn, urethritis, and fevers. The root is also prepared as an infusion and used for epilepsy. Other tribes in the Amazon squeeze the juice from fresh leaves and mix it with mother's milk for earaches.

Throughout South America kalanchoe has had a long history of use. It is commonly called the 'miracle leaf' and 'life leaf' for its remarkable healing properties. In Brazil the plant is considered a sedative, wound-healer, diuretic, anti-inflammatory and cough suppressant. It is used for all sorts of respiratory conditions-from asthma and coughs to bronchitis. It is also employed for kidney stones, gastric ulcers, skin disorders and edema of the legs. Externally a leaf infusion or the leaf juice is used for headaches, toothaches, earaches, eye infections, wounds, ulcers, boils, burns and insect bites. In Peru the plant is employed for the same uses. In Mexico and Nicaragua kalanchoe is used for similar purposes and also to promote menstruation and assist in childbirth.


God has given us such an amazing world. So much to learn, absorb, use. I've started a collection of pages with pictures and information on what is growing around here. We have a veritable pharmacy right at hand.

13 comments:

  1. this leaf is so expensive in new york because it work wonders for you kidneys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article... Thank you. I have plenty of this plants in my garden, i was thinking of how to use it.:D ..excellent plant which god has given us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I GREW UP ON THIS PLANT IT IS A SAVER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you please help me know how to use the leaves... I mean soaked, eaten raw or how to make an infusion

      Delete
  4. this plant is amazing, people use it to do both good and evil so be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how to use it for good... please tell me a few uses

      Delete
    2. I plent it with honey and drink

      Delete
  5. We also use this plant in Jamaica as a remedy for colds/flu. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is Good!I promised God that I would share my testimony on this website. I had all the signs of STD Virus but I was not too sure as to which one. I did a lot of online research and scared myself straight for a whole week before going to see the nurse. She took one look at my genital part and first said that it could just be the anatomy of my body, then she said it looked like genital warts and that I MAY have herpes. I was devastated. She gave me some medicine for the herpes and some cream for the warts. I was also tested for every single STD including herpes. I went home and cried searching the web for all sorts of cures for herpes and awaiting my results. I saw a post whereby Dr. ibhafidon  Blessed cured Herpes and other diseases, I copied his contGod acts out and added him on whats app via +2348152228377. The next day my test result was ready and i confirmed Herpes positive. I told Dr ibhafidon Blessed about my health problems and he assured me of cure. He prepared his herbal medicine and sent it to me. I took it for 14 days (2 weeks). Before the completion of the 14 days in which I completed the dose, the Blisters and Warts that were on my body was cleared. I went back for check-up and I was told I'm free from the virus. Dr. ibhafidon Blessed cures all types of diseases and viruses with the help of his herbal medicine. You can reach Dr. ibhafidon Blessed via his email address on ( dribhafidon96@gmail. com ) or call him on +2348152228377 and whats app him on same number for more info mail me directly on.dribhafidon96@gmail. com .. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. The greatest Joy in my life today is that i have been cured of Herpes by a Doctor called Dr. Edualekhide, I was infected with HERPES Disease in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution,so that my body can be okay. Until one faithful day as I was browsing on the internet I saw a testimony on how Dr. Edualekhide has helped people in curing Herpes and other diseases, quickly I copied his WhatsApp number so i contacted him for solution for my Herpes disease, So Dr. Edualekhide told me that his going to prepare his herbal medicine for my health which he sent to me, luckily after 2week my Herpes was cured. Dr. Edualekhide is well recognized as one of the best herbalist doctors in Africa, you don't have to be sad anymore or share your tears anymore on this disease when the cure is available. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT,there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cures ALS, HIV AIDS, CANCER, HPV, DIABETES and lots more.
    For enquiries:

    E-mail: dredualekhide@gmail.com

    Website: https://dredualekhide.wixsite.com/website

    You can reach me on my Email:

    angelaoscar06@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete